Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Our Idiot Brother (2011)

“Did you hear what our idiot brother did?”

            I think it is safe to say that every family has that one member who they call an idiot. They are the ones who are always getting into trouble and constantly need some kind of help but deep down they have a good heart and will always be there for you. I definitely have an idiot brother and he is to some extent like Paul Rudd in the movie Our Idiot Brother.
            Paul Rudd plays Ned. Ned is a really sweet guy who runs an organic farm with his girlfriend and sells their produce at a local market. One while at the market Ned is approached by a cop to buy some weed and he gives it to the cop. The cop then properly arrests him since it was a sting. Ned spends only eight months in jail getting out on good behavior. When he goes back to his house he has with his girlfriend Janet (Kathryn Hahn) she does not want him there anymore. Janet has moved on with another guy. With nowhere to go Ned moves back in with his mother.
            Living with his mother is not something he really wants to do. He has three sisters- Natalie (Zooey Deschanel), Miranda (Elizabeth Banks), and Liz (Emily Mortimer)- who offer him a place to stay. Natalie is a free spirited person living with her girlfriend Cindy (Rashida Jones) and dozens of other people, Miranda is a snob who works for Vanity Fair and has a guy friend who likes her a lot but does not know it, and Liz is married to a guy (Steve Coogan) who does not love her anymore after being married for several years with two kids. Each sister has their insecurities and vanities.
            Ned lives with all three of his sisters for over periods of time. He is such a nice guy and naïve about certain things that he winds up accidentally messing up their lives. But through their idiot brother’s screw ups they see the problems with their lives and work them out.
            The cast was awesome right from the promos as soon as I saw Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Banks, and Kathryn Hahn in a film together I knew it was going to be really funny and really good. I have had a crush on Paul Rudd since I saw him in Clueless when I was younger and I go mush every time I see him in a film. He was so perfect as Ned. I have to say I was a bit bummed that Elizabeth Banks was Rudd’s sister in the movie ever since I saw them together in Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models together I have loved them as a couple. I was so hoping that somehow Rudd and Banks would hook up and my hopes were dashed when they were paired as brother and sister. Zooey Deschanel played hipster… as always but I still loved her. I was dying laughing hearing her curse (says the “F” word three times and it was awesome). No movie ever suffers when Deschanel is in it. Emily Mortimer I can usually take her or leave her I am not a big fan of hers but she was good as the older sister.
            I liked the story of Our Idiot Brother a lot. It was nice to see a good family story and how even though the brother is a screw up he is a nice guy who loves his family and helped them out. As I said my one brother is a bit like Ned just not a hippy. My brother tries all our patience and does stupid things but we still love him and he is always there whenever we need him. One year we attended the same college and I found out a teacher I was close to in high school died and as soon as I called my brother he came over and hung out with me for a while and gave me a hug. He was even there when my roommate was giving me shit and I needed to talk and cry.
            Our Idiot Brother has an excellent cast and a great story. I was hysterical laughing with several scenes and several lines. I highly recommend seeing the movie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment