Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Cousin Vinny (1992)



How the f**k did I get into this sh*t? 

            My Cousin Vinny is one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen. The first time I watched this movie was a few months ago. My brother bought it and I have always heard from my family that it is so funny. My grandma was always telling me (jokingly) that the inspiration for Marissa Tomei’s character was my aunt Linda. From the moment Vincent “Vinny” LaGuardia Gambini (Joe Pesci) and his girlfriend Mona Lisa Vito come on screen the movie is just total brilliance and hilarity.
            Bill Gambini (Ralph Macchio) and his friend Stan are traveling through Alabama heading back to their school in the south. On the way they stop at a convenience store called Sac-O-Suds. They pay for their things and leave without incident. As they are driving a cop pulls them over, when the cop gets out of the car he takes out a shot gun and tells the two boys to put their hands on their heads and not to move. When they are taken to the station they find out the store was robbed and the clerk killed and the police think they committed the crime.  Bill and Stan are more worried about who will defend them since a good lawyer is really expensive. Bill remembers that his cousin Vinny is a lawyer.
            Vinny and his girlfriend Mona Lisa Vito travel down to Alabama to defend the boys. Dressed in all black and leather and their thick accents the New Yorkers stick out like sore thumbs. Every hotel they go to has a problem with noise that they barely get any sleep and the food is not to their liking.
            Bill and Stan find out that yes Vinny went to law school but he has taken the Bar six times and failed so he is not technically a real lawyer. The no nonsense judge in charge of the trial has it out for Vinny and the more Vinny screws up the more the judge comes down on him hard. He finds Vinny to be a disrespectful northerner… which to some degree he is but hey, it is in his nature, he’s from New York.
            Even though Vinny comes to find that he is way over his head, with much help from Lisa, he is able to win the case.  
            Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei were perfection. They are two of my favorite movie characters. I cannot imagine anyone doing a better job than these two in the roles they were so funny and so spot on with the new Yorker attitude and speech. I really wish everyone had the pleasure of meeting my Aunt Linda because she is exactly like Lisa it is so scary. Aunt Linda is originally from Brooklyn and now lives in Staten Island so she has the two accents mixed into one now and it is hilarious. The way Lisa and Vinny curse in the movie is the way my aunt curses and talks haha. Marissa Tomei absolutely deserved her Academy Award for her role she just made the whole character. She definitely had some of the best lines. I crack up so much when Vinny tells her she is like a tourist and she retorts “and you f**king blend?” My absolutely favorite line of the whole movie is at the end when Vinny said something about wanting to win a case by himself instead of having help and she says what is so bad about having help and he is sitting in the car all sad and she says “Oh my God, what a f**cking nightmare!!” I love the way she says that line.
            My Cousin Vinny is one of my all time favorite movies. It is one of the movies that is so quotable and hilarious and no matter how many times you see it you never get sick of it. I guess I like it a lot mostly for the fact that I can relate to the characters and know people like Vinny and Lisa. This is how real Italians are, they are not like the Jersey Shore assholes they have bad tempers and yes do curse a lot haha. If you have not seen My Cousin Vinny there is something wrong with you and you need to watch it as soon as possible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment