Monday, May 28, 2012

Election (1999)



“None of this would have happened if Mr. McAllister hadn't meddled the way he did.” 

            Election was one of those movies that I always wanted to kind of see but avoided at the same time. Weird I know but that is how my mind works and it baffles me as well at times. I finally broke down thirteen years after its release and watched Election. The only reason I ever wanted to sit through it is because of Reese Witherspoon I adore her and she was so cute even as the bitchiest nastiest smart girl to be in a movie.
            The movie is told through four points of view through narratives. Tracy Flick (Witherspoon) begins the movie. She is running for school president unopposed. Tracy gets to school early to set up her table for the other students to sign their names so she can be in the running. Jim McAllister (Matthew Broderick) is a history teacher and he runs the student government. He loves his job teaching his students. The one student he cannot stand is Tracy because she is overly ambitious and has no life whatsoever outside of school.
            Jim sees that the top football player and popular kid Paul Metzler (Chris Klein) is a rut since he shattered his leg and cannot play football that year. He asks Paul if he would like to run for student president against Tracy. Paul agrees to run. This begins Jim’s downfall in both his professional and personal life.
            So I found Election somewhat funny there were scenes that made me laugh but most of the time I was not amused. I just liked how one little event completely through this guy’s life apart and turned his comfortable wife upside down. Reese Witherspoon was hysterical she was the only good thing about the movie. Other than Witherspoon the actors were alright. The ending drove me nuts with jealousy because Jim gets a job as a Museum Educator at the Museum of Natural History in New York City. I am studying to be a Museum Educator I am jealous because he got a job in a museum in New York (my dream is to work in the Metropolitan Museum of Art). Election is a good comedy it is a movie I would say to watch at least once to say you have seen it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment