Monday, March 25, 2013

Inglourious Basterds (2009)



“Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis. Or you will die tryin'.”

            The first time I saw Inglourious Basterds I was not crazy about. Give me a break though I was not into movies as much as I am now. I remember thinking that Christophe Waltz was absolutely amazing. Now that I have watched Inglourious Basterds again I love it.
            If you have been living under a rock for the past four years or have not seen the movie it takes place during World War II. A group of Jewish- American soldiers is tasked with hunting down Nazis and killing them. They are lead by Lt. Aldo Rain (Brad Pitt) and are known as the “Basterds.”
            Looking for The Basterds is Col. Hans Landa (Christophe Waltz). He is a Jew hunter and as he explains it a very good one. He was able to find a family of Jews hiding in a farm house in France. He did, however, let one of the family members, Shoshanna (Melanie Laurent), get away.
            I am not going to say much more about the movie because it is way too amazing and awesome to give away anything else. All the stories being told are connected which makes it so fun to watch to see how everything unfolds.
            The cast is like a dream cast there is so many incredible actors in this. I am not a fan of Brad Pitt but I loved him as Aldo Raine. He was fantastic.  This movie belongs to Christophe Waltz. The moment he comes on screen and begins talking he owns the movie. He is one of my favorite movie characters without a doubt. Hans was creepy and charming and quite scary all at the same time. Melanie Laurent played Shoshanna brilliantly. Waltz was so perfect he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and deserved it. I love how full of revenge she was and how she got it. Michael Fassbender played a British soldier and no one could have played the character any better. Diane Krueger played a German actress who was a spy for the British. (Can I just say I want to see her and Michael Fassbender together in a movie?). The oddest casting in this to me was Mike Myers as a British officer and BJ Novak as one of the Basterds. Myers was odd to see in a Tarantino film but at the same time he fit in perfectly. Novak will always be Ryan from The Office to me and nothing else.
            Quentin Tarantino is a genius. He took the dark gloomy subject of WWII and turned it into a wonderful dark comedy. This is WWII according to Quentin Tarantino. You almost wish the war had happened this way. The whole story and every one of the characters are immensely entertaining. My favorite aspect of Tarantino’s films is how he writes dialogue. Sometimes less is more but with his films more is better and that is because the man is the master of writing dialogue. No matter what his movies are about the dialogue is relevant, long, dry, and witty. He knows his characters so well he has them so well planned out that he is able to create their dialogue perfectly. He also knows how to cast his films, if he actually has a hand in that. The actors that have been in his films are incredible they are their characters.
            Inglourious Basterds is one of the greatest films to have come out in the past few years. As I was watching the movie it reminded me of The Great Dictator. Both movies take Hitler and make fun of his ridiculousness to no end. If you have yet to see Inglourious Basterds I suggest you do so as soon as you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment