Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inception


“Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.”

            Every once in a blue moon now it seems that Hollywood will actually allow an original movie to grace theater screens. Original plots and stories are becoming more and more rare with the studios playing it safe and releasing remakes or a dumber way to put it “re-imagining”-s of old movies or hell even new ones (seriously do we need a “re-imagining” of Spiderman or a remake of The Thin Man when both worked so well the first time they were released?). Last summer Warner Bros. released Inception, a totally original story written and directed by Christopher Nolan.
            Inception is a movie about dreams and almost violating someone’s deep subconscious thought. Leonard DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb. He can get into people’s minds using a device called Inception which gets in between someone’s dream process. This device makes Dom a world class criminal along with a team who helps to construct and plan the dreams. The plot of the movie is complicated to explain and if I were to even explain a little of the plot it would pretty much give the whole story away.
            I remember last summer seeing posters and advertisements all over the place when I was visiting England for a month. Advertising everywhere really does work because I really wanted to see it from all the posters. As soon as I got home I went to see the movie with my brother and I walked out so thrilled and amazed. I was in love with the movie I saw it again. Everything about Inception is brilliant. Very little special effects were used which adds more of a reality and did not add a cheapness. The acting by the entire cast was incredible. Leonard DiCaprio just gets better and better no one could have done as well as he did. Marion Cotillard was nothing short of amazing as Dom’s wife Mal. Joseph Gordon- Levitt, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy were excellent as well.

            What I really liked about Inception was that I could not predict what was going to happen next I did not even want to I just wanted the story to keep going. To me a sign of a good movie is not being able to predict what will happen or if you think you know what will happen and the opposite of what you were thinking happens. The idea of going into someone’s dreams and changing their thoughts is so fascinating.
            Inception is one of the best movies to come out in the past ten years. I have seen the movie countless of times since I saw it in theaters and I am still blown away and in awe by its originality. Inception proved that movie audiences want something original that movies like this can be successful. Christopher Nolan created something incredible and possibly started a new trend of original ideas again in Hollywood. You can see Nolan put so much care into the writing of the script and the direction. I hope to see more writers and directors put more care into their works in the future.  I was so happy to see that Inception won for Best Original Screenplay and Best Effects at the Academy Awards because it totally deserved both ( I would have liked to have seen it won for Best Picture as well but…)
            Definitely see Inception. You do have to pay close attention to understand much of the plot… but if you are a true movie lover you won’t mind paying attention. After you have seen Inception go on to IMDB and check out the trivia section, there is so much cool information.

No comments:

Post a Comment