Thursday, March 8, 2012

Young Adult (2011)



“Sometimes in order to heal... a few people have to get hurt.”

            Young Adult is the reason I hate having expectations before I see it. The movie looked really good with its cast and Diablo Cody as a writer but once it got going I was bored to death and did not like the story.
            Mavis Gary (Charlize Theron) is working on her latest young adult novel when she checks her email and sees that her ex-boyfriend Buddy Slade (Patrick Wilson) and his wife (Elizabeth Reaser) just had a baby. Mavis’s life is completely upside down she drinks too much and is having trouble writing her book and the news just throws her over the edge. She decides to head back to her small hometown to try to win her ex back.
 
            As Mavis sees all the people she went to high school with we see that no one liked her and she was a slut. The only one that talks to her is Matt Freehauf (Patton Oswald) after he and Mavis get drunk together.
            Mavis’s plan to win Buddy back does not go as she planned. The more she tries to get him back the more we see how stuck in the past she is and how she mentally never really grew up and got away from high school.
            I do not feel like writing more… well actually I cannot because I barely paid attention. As soon as the subject of how Mavis never got over her high school crush came up and how wanted to woo him away from his wife I got pissed and my mind wandered. I HATE stories like this they drive me nuts.
            I think I was more upset about the movie being not that great because the cast was really good. Charlize Theron is a great actress and was perfect as the former pretty girl of the small town because she is gorgeous. I was very happy to see Elizabeth Reaser in a movie, I think she is a good actress who needs to be in more movies (No, I am not a fan of hers because of Twilight. Like most people I knew her first from Grey’s Anatomy). The more I see of Patrick Wilson the more I like him as an actor. Patton Oswald is entertaining because he is a comedian but he has a seriousness or deadpan-ness to him.
 
 
 
            I had been hoping that Young Adult was a comedy I mean to me that is what the trailers for it on it TV looked like and how the posters were selling it. Young Adult is a movie I am not crazy about but I would not tell you not to see it. The characters to me suck but the acting is good so watch it mostly for that. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment