Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1965)




This musical version of Cinderella by Rodgers and Hammerstein I remember watching all the time when I was little. Technically this was not shown in the movie theaters but on television in 1965 I have to write this up because it brought back so many memories for me. I only remembered bits and pieces from this but as I was watching it all the songs became familiar once again. The last time I watched this I think was eighteen years ago. Guessing by how familiar the songs were I must have watched this a billion times!
            Watching Cinderella now I still love it but good lord was the acting and singing terrible! The only good actors were Ginger Rogers as the Queen, Walter Pidgeon as the King, Stuart Damon as the Prince, and Celeste Holm as the Fairy Godmother. Walters and Pidgeon were not in the movie too much but they were just fabulous. Rogers looked amazing and she was in her fifties by this time. I really wish Rogers and Pidgeon had been given a song of their own to sing, everyone gets to sing a song but them. I remember my mom always telling me that Damon used to be on the soap opera General Hospital and to this day she still likes to remind me haha. The sad thing is I remember seeing him on the show when my mom and grandma watched the show. Damon was excellent as the Prince he was very handsome and his singing was beautiful. Lesley Ann Warren was adorable but good lord was her acting and singing bad. Her singing becomes embarrassing at times she is so off. It was weird seeing her as this sweet young girl after being so used to seeing her with a drink or a gun in her hand running around a big old house in Clue as Miss. Scarlett. Celeste Holm was not bad she was a good actress but her singing was not the greatest.
            The costumes were stunning and eye catching. Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon looked amazing in their red costumes in the ball scene. Lesley Ann Warren’s ball gown was gorgeous it was a perfect dress for a ball and then for a princess at the end. The colors of the costumes really capture your attention they are beautiful reds, blues, yellows, browns, and oranges.
            Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella is one of my most cherished and favorite memories from when I was a kid. I can remember the joy of watching it and loving the songs. Watching the movie again I still have the same feelings, even though I know realize how bad the acting and singing are. The songs are so catchy and sweet you will no doubt have them in your head for days. I have “Ten Minutes Ago” stuck in my head for days.
            Youtube currently has the movie available to view. It is available on DVD but I have never seen it go for less than seventy dollars on Amazon or anywhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment