Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sin City (2005)



“This is blood for blood and by the gallons. These are the old days man, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choices left. And I'm ready for war.”

            Sin City is a movie that for the past eight years I have been curious to see. I was talking to my brother Anthony about movies we want to see and he brought up that he is so pumped for Sin City 2 to come out this year (I believe he said this year I could be wrong). Anthony has been taking film classes at school where he has to watch older films like the ones I watch and post on this site. He told me that Sin City is like a Noir which immediately grabbed my interest. I did not know what to expect with Sin City. Since I did not know anything at all about the plot or the directors or the characters I found myself enjoying it.
            The movie has three stories with several different characters. All the characters mix together at certain times in each of their stories. I am not going to go into all the stories. I paid attention to each one but to explain them would take me forever.
            The movie is very creative and artistic making it completely different to anything that has been released since then. It does feel like a cheesy Noir with its voiceovers from a tough guy who was or is a cop. The opening scene with Josh Harnett and Marley Shelton looked like it was taken out of a Noir from the forties it was perfect. I liked how the cinematography was black and white and at certain points in the film a light would shine and reveal color. That lighting effect was really cool it was as if you were being taken out of the dark for moment. The reds and the blues that were made to stand out were stunning shades. I could not get over how blue Alexis Bledel’s eyes were made to look. The best was the red in Josh Hartnett’s and Clive Owen’s shoes.
            I thought the casting for this movie was odd yet perfect at the same time. The oddest casting choices I thought were Elijah Wood, Alexis Bledel (she is by far the oddest), and Josh Hartnett. Wood had the weirdest role out of anyone in the movie… wait that one goes to the Yellow Bastard actually. He did not have any lines he was quiet and really unsettlingly creepy. Alexis Bledel I associate with Gilmour Girls or Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I would never think of her as a hooker turned rat. But she works out well in the role just as the entire cast works in their roles. Jessica Alba looked like she did not belong in a movie like this. She looked great but she looked out of place. I would actually like to see her in another movie with Bruce Willis they were paired very well.
            Sin City was not my kind of movie I would have watched on my own had Anthony not said it was like watching a Noir. I do not plan to watch it again for a while. I am happy that I sat through Sin City at least once because it was so different and so creative. I wish more movies were made with the care and creativity like Sin City

No comments:

Post a Comment