Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby (2014)

Image result for the disappearance of eleanor rigby them poster
“You know before you I had no idea who I was.”

            I have written up the two other versions of The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby called Him and Her. This last version is Him and Her edited together and with a few added scenes.
            I have linked my previous reviews so you can read those instead of my going into a long summary of the story. Here is a short one:
            Eleanor (Jessica Chastain) and Connor (James McAvoy) have endured the loss of their infant son. Each of them is dealing with that grief in their own way. Eleanor became so depressed she tried to kill herself. Connor throws himself into his failing restaurant and chooses not to speak of what happened. Their grief tears them apart because they cannot figure out a way to do so together. Eleanor is upset with Connor because she does not feel he cares enough. After she attempts suicide Eleanor goes back to her parents’ home in Connecticut. She does not want to see or speak to Connor for a while. All Connor wants is for them to talk and be together.
            Once again, Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy were perfect. Chastain was phenomenal. There was no way I could look away from the screen whenever she was on it. You can see her immense talent in every one of her scenes. Bill Hader has an interesting range as an actor. He was kind of the bumbling funny friend to the guy but he played it with a seriousness underneath.

            I really liked this trilogy. I loved how the story was ambiguous. There is not a lot of detail with what exactly happened to their son, if her parents really like Connor, etc. Sometimes in movies and TV shows I like it when we know little about the characters because it lets us fill in detail or it forces us to just see what is happening in these peoples’ lives at that moment. Details can bog down a story instead of help it. I was so satisfied with the way The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby played out between the perspectives of Eleanor and Connor that I did not need any more detail than what was given to us. With any arguments or issues in life I always like to know both sides of the story I like that gray area that the black and white create. That is what The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them did. It put Him and Her together to show us both perspectives side by side. It showed us the gray areas of their story.  I loved these movies from the first scene of Her. The story is not outrageously original but the acting and the direction and obviously the editing make it so interesting to watch. I read somewhere that if you do watch The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby trilogy to start off with Him. I started off with Her and to me it really did not make difference to me story wise but I guess I will agree and start off with Him first because then you may understand Eleanor’s frustration a little better. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby is absolutely worth watching. They were three of the best current movies have seen in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment