Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Crow (1994)

Image result for the crow poster
"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever."

            A lot of revenge movies usually fall along the lines of a couple were very happy together and then the couple is robbed or something shady goes down and the girl in the couple is killed and the guy is left alive. The guy is devastated and left a different after the girl dies and then he goes all vigilante looking for justice and kicking some bad guy ass. (Seriously, did I just explain a whole bunch of superhero movies and revenge movies or what?). The only revenge movie I can think of that is a little different and darker is The Crow.
            On Devil’s Night, the day before Halloween, rock musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancé Shelly Webster are killed.  Shelly has been raped and beaten and Eric has been shot, stabbed, and thrown out of a window onto the street. For thirty hours Shelly suffers and finally dies.
            A year later on yet another Devil’s Night a crow lands on Eric’s grave. A moment later Eric comes shooting out of it. He has been brought back to life to avenge his and Shelly’s deaths. Eric returns to their apartment and he gets painful flashbacks to the night he and Shelly were murdered. With help from the crow where he can see whatever the crow sees, Eric tracks down the gang one by one and kills them all. He finds out the person who ordered the hit on him and Shelly is a ruthless crime lord who controls all the crime and drug deals in the city called Top Dollar.
Image result for the crow 1994
Image result for the crow 1994

            The Crow is a movie I had been wanting to see for a couple of years now. I never knew what it was about all I had ever seen of it was the poster. I finally sat down to watch it and I really liked it a lot. I liked it so much, in fact, that I am adding it to my list of favorite movies. I liked how it was a revenge movie but it was different with Eric coming back from the dead a year after he died. He was freaking dead he was not alive or hurt for a year he was freaking dead, he came back, and kicked some ass! One think that kind of drives me nuts with revenge movies is that the guy seeking revenge has a conscious about killing others or whatever have you. Eric did not care, he just killed all the bad guys and that was awesome! I think the whole atmosphere and subject matter was dark but, to me, there seemed a lightness to it at the same time. It did not feel as heavy as some of the other revenge movies I have seen. That could just be me thinking that, who knows. The entire movie from start to finish was really, really good. I like everything about The Crow and I cannot wait to watch it again. The Crow is definitely worth watching if you have not already.
 Image result for the crow 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment