Tuesday, October 6, 2015

In Bruges (2008)



“After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. "Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks. Get to Bruges." I didn't even know where Bruges fucking was.”

            I have such wanderlust and a yearning for places I have yet to visit that I have trouble understanding why some people would never want to leave their everyday surroundings and travel. I do understand that traveling is not for everyone but it hurts when people say they are comfortable with staying put and never wishing to see what life is like in other places. I love history and I love learning about other cultures so I desperately long for the day when I can have the money to travel to Europe and just be fully submerged in culture and history.
            My desire for and trouble understanding why some people do not want to travel does have something to do with the 2008 movie In Bruges. No worries I was not going on a small tangent for nothing.
            The movie begins with two guys named Ken and Ray (Colin Farrell) who are from London settling into the historic town of Bruges, Belgium. They have been sent to Bruges by their boss Harry (Ralph Fiennes). All three men are professional hit men. Ray is not happy about being sent to Bruges. He feels there is nothing to do and desperately wants to go back to London. Ken on the other hand is already in love with the city. He reads a book about the best sites to see and makes the most of this two-week banishment.
Image result for in bruges 2008
            The reason Ken and Ray have been sent to Bruges is because they need to lay low. It was Ray’s first job and he accidentally shot a kid while killing his target. Soon Ken is given instructions by Harry to kill Ray to cover up loose ends. Ken does not want to kill his partner he has respect for Ray and also Ray is in such a state of depression over killing a kid that he will most likely kill himself. Ken tries to get Ray out of the city and somewhere deep in Europe. He then calls Harry and tells his boss that he sent Ray off on a train somewhere far away.
            Since nothing got done Harry travels to Bruges to take care of things himself. Of course things get complicated and messy when Harry shows up.
            I had been wanting to see In Bruges for some years now. I cannot even tell you why I wanted to see it. I had no clue what the story even was but there was something about that made me want to watch it. Two of my brothers really like it but they never really raved about it even though they both have it on Blu Ray. I found In Bruges to be alright. I was not too crazy about it. The story was different and there are some good twists in it.There was a scene with a group of American tourists that may just be one of my favorite scenes of all time. It was way too perfect.    In Bruges is not a movie to run an see immediate. Watch it if you come across it. It is worth watching at least once.
 Image result for in bruges 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment