Monday, April 13, 2015

The Wizard of Oz (1939): My Experience of Seeing it in Theaters in 3D

Image result for the wizard of oz 3d
“As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.”

            The Wizard of Oz has held a special place in my heart and memories since I was a little kid. When I was in pre-school my grandma made me Dorothy’s dress for Halloween and my mom bought white shoes and painted them in red sparkle paint. My costume was complete with pigtails and a basket with a stuffed dog in it. I used to love playing with action figures and my one of favorite ones to play with was Dorothy. I still have that Dorothy figure as well as the costume somewhere in my basement. My parents and grandparents have their own special memories of me constantly watching The Wizard of Oz over and over and singing along to the songs.
            I went many, many, many years without watching the film. I watched the film for the first time in many years after I became an Old Hollywood fanatic. I appreciated it and loved it since it has always held such a special place in family. But over the last three years I would say The Wizard of Oz has become even more special to me. I see just how incredible of a film it is and how it is such a fantastic, wonderful, incredible escape from reality for the two hours and five minutes it runs. That form of escapism was the intention for the film when it was released seventy-six years ago and that is what it is still providing for audiences today. I like watching The Wizard of Oz when I need an escape from the real world and life’s problems. For its run I am a sixteen year old girl walking to see a powerful wizard through a world full of vibrant colors and lovable friends in the forms of a scarecrow, a lion, and tin man.
            Yesterday I wrote up how I was afforded the opportunity to see the silent serial House of Hate at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY. I was also given the opportunity of seeing The Wizard of Oz in 3D. This opportunity was a surprise. I thought I was just going to see House of Hate and I got to see The Wizard of Oz as well. I have to admit I was not too happy at first about having to sit through a film I know by heart and can sing all the songs to. I was at a museum I had never been to and had always wanted to go to and all I wanted to do was go look around. But once the film got started and Miss Gultch rode by on her bicycle and the Wicked Witch’s theme music came on I was done I was on cloud nine. I actually started to tear up because I thought of my grandma and how she does the most spot on impression of the Wicked Witch laughing and saying “I’ll get you my pretty.” (We got her the ornament of Miss Cultch on her bicycle for Christmas one year and it is one of her favorite gifts we have ever given her. It takes pride of place on her Christmas tree every year).  
Image result for the wizard of oz  1939
            I nearly started blubbing like a baby when Dorothy opens the door and steps into the color world of Munchkin Land. I had never seen The Wizard of Oz in theaters before this so I was tearing up because the kid in me was so happy and because I did feel like an excited little kid again. I always get excited as soon as Dorothy opens the door and steps into this fantastical world but seeing that moment larger than life in all its Technicolor glory was unbelievable. One thing that was crazy to see in 3D was Glinda coming down in her big pink bubble! It was like that bubble was coming right for you!
1WOZ_EnterOZ2
            The 3D aspect of the film was incredible. The picture was so clear you could see the texture of the clothing, all the wrinkles in Dorothy’s shirt, the brilliant yellow of the Yellow Brick Road, the different shades of green in the Wizard’s outfit, the green on the Wick Witch’s fingernails, all the rust on the Tin Man, the blades of grass, etc. I was floored by how clear the detail on everything was in 3D especially in the costumes. I have a new appreciation for Adrian’s costume designs and how brilliant they were after watching the film in 3D.
            I never thought I could possibly love The Wizard of Oz as much as I already do but after seeing it 3D I now know it to be possible. I do not get emotional over films I rarely cry no matter how sad or happy the plot but I did seeing The Wizard of Oz yesterday. I got emotional because of all the memories I have associated with it. As soon as it was over, I texted my mom and told her how happy that made me and how I teared up a bit. She responded how great it was that I got to see it on the big screen and that she probably would have cried too ha ha.  If you have yet to see The Wizard of Oz, in regular format or 3D it does not matter, in theaters I hope you get the chance to in your life. You will never forget that experience for as long as you live.
Image result for the wizard of oz  1939

            Once again I would very much like to thank The Museum of the Moving Image for such a great opportunity. I will cherish that memory of seeing my childhood movie on the large screen for as long as I am a film fanatic and as long as I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment