Monday, December 14, 2015

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

Image result for star wars a new hope movie poster
“The Force is strong with this one.”

            Oh, Star Wars. What would the world be like without it? It is hard to imagine what our culture would be like with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Princess Leia and C3-PO and R2-D2. Everyone knows something about Star Wars even if they have never seen the movies. For me, Star Wars is ingrained in my family. My two youngest brothers, Anthony and Christian, have loved Star Wars ever since they were little. They have so many toys and ornaments and God knows what else of the movies. I had always seen bits and pieces of them and a few years ago I marathoned 1-6 (what a waste of time the first three are!). At the time I marathoned the movies I was not really into movies like I am now. I remember thinking, well, I finally sat through them and I can I saw them. Now watching the original trilogy over with a better appreciation for movies I love the original Star Wars movies they are amazing and so much fun. Also, I finally get what the big deal is with them which makes me so happy.
            A New Hope begins with the evil Darth Vader and his Storm Troopers taking over a ship carrying Princes Leia. They want the princess to tell them where the rebel base is. Before Vader finds her, Leia has sent off a message in a small droid named R2-D2. The droid and his droid companion C3-PO hope in a little pod and fly away to a nearby galaxy.
Image result for star wars a new hope
            The planet the droids land on is dry desolate. Almost immediately they are captured by sand people and put up for sale. They are bought by the uncle of Luke Skywalker. When Luke is cleaning out R2-D2 he sees a bit of the message Leia had left with the droid. She is pleading “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.” The following day he takes the droid to an old man named Ben who is the Obi-Wan the princess seeks. Obi-Wan knew Luke’s father and wants to train him to be a Jedi knight.
Image result for star wars a new hope
Image result for star wars a new hope
            Darth Vader and his troops have traced the droids to Luke’s home planet. When Luke returns to his home he finds it destroyed and his aunt and uncle killed. Obi-Wan suggests going into the city and looking for someone to fly them to another galaxy. They find rogue and very much in trouble smuggler Han Solo to fly them in his Millennium Falcon.

Image result for star wars a new hope
            Luke, Obi-Wan and Han save Leia and return her to the rebellion’s base. At the base they plan to take down the Empire’s headquarters known as the Death Star.
            I never realized just how awesome the characters, particularly Han and Leia, were. I am bit obsessed with Han Solo at the moment because Harrison Ford did such an amazing job playing the character. Han had a very Devil-may-care attitude and I think that’s exactly what Ford does with his acting. I love the snarkiness of Han and Ford delivered all of Han’s snark to perfection. Leia is a bad ass. She completely held her own against all the guys. She never let Vader scare her she gave him shit right back. R2-D2 I am in love with he is so adorable. I never really understood why so many people like Darth Vader. To me he is a bad guy and bad guys are not supposed to be liked but Vader is way too cool of a bad guy not to like. Luke was alright. I think his character gets better and better with each movie.
Image result for star wars a new hope

            Star Wars: A New Hope is a fantastic movie. Character introductions and story set ups are so important. Sometimes they both suck or either one or other does but this movie managed to make both complete perfection. I am so happy my brothers are into Star Wars because I would have missed out on seeing A New Hope and watching great, iconic characters. I fully plan on watching A New Hope again as soon as I can!
Image result for star wars a new hope

No comments:

Post a Comment