Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Draft Day (2014)


“How is it that the ultimate prize in the most macho sport ever invented is a piece of jewelry?”

            Ugh, football. American football if there are any Brits/Europeans reading this. Why the hell does American call the game “football”? The only time a foot touches the ball is when a field goal needs to be kicked. Ass backwards we are I swear. Football is boring **dodging flying objects and jeers**. I guess I find it boring because neither the Giants nor the Chief can ever do anything exciting! (Yep, those are my teams. I live in Jersey so, Giants, naturally. Where the Chiefs came from ask my dad). Sports just do not excite me, well, maybe watching British football does. I love the BPL.
            I am sure you are now asking yourself why on earth I even watched Draft Day if football drives me nuts and bores me. Jennifer Garner is my hero and being the nice fan that I am I had to see her no matter how long her screen time was.
            So basically the plot is the General Manager of the Cleveland Browns, Sonny Weaver Jr. (Kevin Costner), is looking for the best pick in the NFL Draft for 2014. For those of you that do not know the NFL Draft is like a big deal. The picks could make or break a team. The worst team in the league the year before gets to pick the first overall draft which is usually the best player to come out of college football.
            Sonny is under a lot of pressure from the entire Browns franchise, the team’s coach, the fans, the players, and other GMs from other teams. It is like one big pissing match for a day trying to get the top pick and trade players. It is a business not a game. The owner of the team wants Sonny to pick this kid Bo Callahan who won the Heisman Trophy but Sonny is not so sure about his character and how he would fit in with the team. Plus, his quarterback Drew Bell (the ever super gorgeous Tom Welling) has come back from an injury the following year stronger than ever and if Callahan were to come in Drew would be replaced. Sonny has his eye on this kid whose father played for the Browns and is considered a team legend.
            So, happy ending, Sonny trades with a few different teams for the kid and another player instead of taking Bo Callahan. And he tells his mother that he and his not-so-secret girlfriend Ali (Garner) are going to have baby together.
            The cast was pretty good. Jennifer Garner was not in it too much. She was used more as the person who moves the main character along. Ali really had no function other than being eye candy. Anyone could have played this role. Dear god I feel terrible saying that because I love Jennifer Garner so much and she is so much more than a second string kind of actress but it is true. She did look totally beautiful though. Kevin Costner was good. I really do not have an opinion on him I have not seen him in much. Other actors star in the movie and pop up such as Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Terry Crews, Hellen Burstyn, Rosanna Arquette (for literally like two seconds), and P.Diddy.

            Draft Day was such a bore. Jennifer Garner and her very few scenes and one dimensional character were the saving grace for me. The movie itself was not bad and the acting was good but I just cannot stand football talk. It always makes me sad how much of a business the sports world has become. Like, yeah, the teams want the best players, but to me the players are bought, sold, and traded like cattle. It is like they are not even human. Draft Day is not a movie I would highly suggest seeing unless you really like football. Or love Jennifer Garner like I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment