Thursday, June 18, 2015

High Fidelity (2000)


“… I agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films - these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth…”

            High Fidelity is a movie I had wanted to see for a few years. I do not know why I have wanted to see it. I mean, my wanting to see it was not strong it was just like, oh, I’ve heard of High Fidelity I want to see it. I found it while scrolling through Netflix and of course I had to see it. I never knew what it was about and never really had expectations for it. Thank god I did not know the story and had no expectations for the story.
            Rob (John Cusak) has been dumped by his girlfriend Laura. He immediately starts makes top five/top ten lists of his break ups and kisses and records. He owns a record store and knows quite possibly every song and album ever made by every artist. Rob recounts all his relationships along with his favorite musicians and albums.
Image result for high fidelity 2000
Image result for high fidelity 2000
            In order to understand what went wrong with Laura he looks back at his past relationships and even visits most of them. Most of the women he has dated have had a little something screwy about them but he was a big part of the problem in the relationship. With Laura he cheated on her and told her he was not in love with her. Rob also has zero ambition in life. His whole life is his record store. He and his two coworkers are very elitist when it comes to music and practically yell at anyone who does not understand what they are talking about or say something they do not like.
            During the whole movie Rob is trying to talk to Laura and get back with her when she does not want to even be in the same room with him for very long. Near the end of the movie Laura’s father dies and she wants Rob to come to the funeral since her father liked him. He goes and they talk and she wants to get back together with him.
            High Fidelity is one of the most drawn out, boring, annoying, and way too long movies I have ever seen. Rob is one of the most annoying movie characters ever. He is such an ass. I hated how he could not see that he was the biggest jerk in his relationships he was the one with the real issues. I absolutely fucking hated the ending. I hated that Laura, who spent the whole movie pushing Rob away, was the one who wanted him back. I hated Rob for taking her back when he was kind of ready to move on… or so I thought. The only thing I liked about the movie was the music and hearing Rob and his two employees be complete assholes when they were talking about the subject. I relate I can get to that level with movies pretty quickly only I will not yell at you for not knowing something about movies. I will only yell at you over loving chick flicks.  Ugh, I do not know if I should tell you to go ahead and watch High Fidelity at some point in your life or just totally skip it. To me a movie has to be truly god awful for me to tell you not to watch it and High Fidelity was not god awful. I know it felt like a chore watching it after a while. You are at your own discretion and curiosity when it comes to wanting to watch High Fidelity
Image result for high fidelity 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment