Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Vacation (1989)


“I don't know what to say, except it's Christmas and we're all in misery.”

            I think it is funny how a lot of Christmas movies portray families that are weird and not fun. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who have family members that the rest of the family jokes about or when they hear the one family member they roll their eyes and dread the coming day. I feel very fortunate to have never been in that kind of situation. I actually do not mind seeing my family or being around my family for the holidays (although, I will admit, my grandparents can be a bit too much to take after a while). Every Christmas when I watch the hilarious movie Christmas Vacation I thank God that my family is not as insane as the Griswolds.
            Clark Giswold (Chevy Chase) wants to have the perfect Christmas with his family. He drags them out to the middle of the woods in the snow to find the perfect tree. When he gets the tree into the house it is gigantic and breaks windows. For the outside of the house Clark breaks out the biggest ball of lights known to man which when unraveled covers the entire house.
Image result for christmas vacation
            For the holidays both Clark’s family and his wife Ellen’s family come to stay. The house is chaotic from day one with all the family over and Clark trying to decorate. When Clark finally gets the lights on the house to work he gets a surprise he really was not happy to receive. Ellen’s weird cousin Eddie has pulled up in an RV with his family unannounced.
            Clark’s perfect family Christmas hilariously falls apart in so many ways even before Eddie’s arrival.
Image result for christmas vacation
            There are so many fantastic scenes and jokes in Christmas Vacation that I cannot even begin to write down because you have to see it to understand and fully appreciate.
            Christmas Vacation is one of those movies I have seen so many times that I know it by heart and still laugh my ass off to the point I am crying. It has become such a classic in my house and I am sure it is an all-around classic movie in the film world. It is complete genius. There are so many relatable aspects of the characters and stories. If you have yet to see Christmas Vacation you are insane and need to go watch it immediately.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment