Friday, May 22, 2015

The Skeleton Twins (2014)


“Look, it had nothing to do with you.”
“That is bullshit. You're my brother. And we're supposed to be there for each other. And if you don't get that by now, then, I don't know, I guess I'll talk to you in another ten years.”

            Oh, family. They drive us crazy in so many ways. I am fortunate enough where no matter how crazy we drive each other that my family is very close. Whenever I see a movie where families are not close it kind of makes me sad. My family is no way perfect we drive each other up a damn wall more than anything. I am the only girl with three younger brothers. I would rather have brothers than sisters but holy shit it has never been easy with brothers! I feel like I can understand how brothers and sisters and families can drift apart and not talk to each other for years. Over the years I feel like I have become less close to my parents and grandparents. When I was away at school I used to call home and my grandma every day. Now I am just like I’ll be down in the basement working on my blog leave me alone or there are sometimes where I will be out and the only reason I want to come home is because my bed and all my things are there.
            That all got way too deep. This is a movie review not a diary type of blog. No one wants to read those. (No offense if you run one though)
            I was trying to get to a point about the excellent movie The Skeleton Twins. The movie is about twins Maggie (Kristen Wiig) and Milo Dean (Bill Hader) who have not come from the best of family situations. Their father killed himself when he was younger because of depression. Milo has tried to kill himself after his boyfriend broke up with him. Maggie is also unhappy. She was working herself up to take an overdose of pills when she was called by the hospital Milo was taken to. Despite not having spoken to or seen each other in ten years Maggie is Milo’s emergency contact.
            Maggie seems to have it all. She has a very loving husband named Lance (Luke Wilson). Lance is completely head over heels in love with Maggie but she does not feel the same about him. For excitement she has been taking various classes and sleeping with the instructors. Milo sees that Maggie’s life is just as fucked up and dramatic as his life. Neither is really doing what they want or with who they really want to be with.
            Throughout the movie Maggie and Milo realize they need each other more than any other person in their lives. Like any pair of siblings they fight, they cry, they laugh, they have a good time, and they understand each other. They help each other work out their demons and their sadness.
            The Skeleton Twins was fantastic. I liked how no matter how fucked up they both were Maggie and Milo needed each other and helped each other either outright or unknowingly. That is what my brothers and I sometimes to we do little things either purposefully or unknowingly and I love that. Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were perfection together and as individual actors. Wiig needs to be recognized more for her dramatic roles. The woman has range and it seems all people really know her from is from comedies, i.e. Saturday Night Live, Bridesmaids. Sure comedy is where she truly made her name but she is so incredible in dramas. I have enjoyed seeing her play fucked up characters who do not have their shit together whatsoever. Maybe it is because I kind of feel like a train wreck like her characters feel just not as deeply or as messed up. Bill Hader he is the same. The guy has some good range. I hope to see him in more roles like Milo Dean. Hader and Wiig have such great chemistry that you can believe they could really be brother and sister. I am sure their chemistry is so good because they are great friends off screen. The Skeleton Twins is absolutely worth seeing it is one of the best movies I have seen in a while (**I have actually been saying this quite a bit with the newer movies I have been watching and I am kind of shocked. Maybe I have finally been watching the right modern movies? Or maybe I have had more of an open mind? Either one works for me**)

No comments:

Post a Comment