Friday, October 5, 2012

Looper (2012)

“I work as a specialized assassin, in an outfit called the Loopers. When my organization from the future wants someone to die, they zap them back to me and I eliminate the target from the future. The only rule is: never let your target escape... even if your target is you”

            As soon as I saw a trailer for Looper I had to see it. Looper is one of the most original and creative stories in the past few years. It is right in league with Inception and The Adjustment Bureau for being so original.
            The plot of Looper is fairly easy to explain and is summed up by the quote I used under the poster. Loopers are assassins who are sent people to kill from the future. From the trailers I am sure you have seen that Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is sent his future self to kill. The head of the mod from the future is “closing the loops” by sending the loopers to be killed by their past selves. The story focuses on the present Joe until his future self is sent through. We find that future Joe has fought off the mob who was sent to kill him and went back in time to stop someone called The Rainmaker who has been making the future world difficult to live in.
            Alright so I am going to stop there because I am sure I have said too much already.
            Joseph Gordon- Levitt was amazing. He is definitely going to be an actor we will be seeing in many great films to come. He was perfect to play a young Bruce Willis because both of them are calm but when they need to be can become badass. Whoever did Gordon-Levitt’s make up deserves an Academy Award. I could believe that Gordon-Levitt was an actual younger Bruce Willis. He could have been a completely different person a new actor in Hollywood.
            Emily Blunt deserves so much praise. I cannot tell you who she is because it would take a lot of explaining and too many spoilers. From the moment she comes on screen she just kicks ass and is brilliant. Blunt is an actress who like Gordon-Levitt will be around for a long time making great films because she is versatile.
            Looper is a great movie. I will give warning though that you do have to pay attention because everything is connected and comes back again and it is philosophical which I know not many people care for when they watch movies. Also it was a little too long for me, I do not know if it was because I was completely exhausted and wanted to be in my pajamas or if it was just long in general so beware of that as well. If you liked Inception and films along that line that you will definitely like Looper. It was an all around very well made and well acted film.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment