Friday, July 1, 2016

The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012)

Image result for the odd life of timothy green
“Please don't ask about my leaves.”

            There have been a ton of movies and TV shows (or episodes of TV shows) about couples who cannot have children. They try and try and nothing works. The final thing they do is turn to adoption and to make things more dramatic sometimes the adoption story does not go over well. Since I do not have children nor do I ever plan on having any I find these stories not that enjoyable to sit through. I find them boring as hell. Then why, you may be wondering, have I sat through The Odd Life of Timothy Green when the story is just the kind about a couple not being able to have children? I will give you the one and only reason: Jennifer Garner (if any of you know me you will know I adore Jennifer Garner to no end, she is my hero).
            The story begins with Cindy (Garner) and Jim Green (Joel Edgerton) sitting in the meeting of an adoption agency. The adoption agent is curious about their answer to one of their questions which was just the name Timothy. To explain why they just simply put down the name they tell their story of what happened to them the previous year.
            Cindy and Jim are told they cannot conceive a child. They are beyond devastated. To try to get their minds off of their heartache they write down on pieces of paper all the qualities they would want their child to have such as honest to a fault, artistic, kind, loving, etc. Jim and Cindy take the pieces of paper and burry them in their garden. That night a massive rain storm comes down. Jim and Cindy see something running out of the corner of their eyes. They think someone has broken into their home. When they run upstairs they find a young boy covered in dirt with no clothes on. Cindy has the boy jump in the bath to get the dirt off him and Jim goes downstairs to call the police to report a missing child. As he is on the phone Jim looks out the window and sees a hold in the ground in their garden where they had buried the pieces of paper. At the same time upstairs Cindy notices that Timothy has leaves growing around his ankles. The couple realize that Timothy is the child they had dreamed of.
Image result for the odd life of timothy green
Image result for the odd life of timothy green
Image result for the odd life of timothy green
            Timothy brings joy and happiness into the lives of his parents and everyone around him. He encourages Jim and Cindy to be braver in their lives and more creative. Unfortunately, Timothy does not have a lot of time with his parents. Every time he completes a dream that Cindy and Jim have for him a leaf falls off his leg just as it would on a tree. After the family arrives home at the beginning of a storm Timothy tells his parents that he has to go. The storm knocks out the power and with that Timothy disappears.
            In the end the agents that heard Jim and Cindy’s story bring a little girl to them.
            Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton were great. Garner was beyond adorable in this. I am so used to seeing her kick ass and be a tough chick from her show Alias and her movie Elektra that whenever I see her playing a sweet character she just makes my heart melt. Edgerton was excellent. I have not seen too many movies with him in it but whatever I have seen him in I have enjoyed his talent. The kid who played Timothy was fabulous he was perfect.
Image result for the odd life of timothy green

            The Odd Life of Timothy Green was a very good movie. I always thought it would be a sad movie since I knew the kid would have to leave his parents but it turns out that it was not sad at all. As I mentioned at the beginning I usually hate plots that deal with couples desperately wanting a kid but I am happy to say that I finally found one that did not annoy the hell out of me. I did not find the story too sappy or mushy and sweet I found it enjoyable to watch. The Odd Life of Timothy Green is definitely not for everyone. As I also mentioned I watched the movie for Jennifer Garner otherwise I never would have seen this at all. The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a good movie to watch with the whole family. 
Image result for the odd life of timothy green

No comments:

Post a Comment